Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Eating In

I love going out to restaurants, but sometimes it’s nice to just stay home and eat in. Whether I’m cooking or eating others cooking, being able to relax and linger at the table as you eat your meal for however long you want can be so satisfying. That said I was grateful that when staying at a cabin in Gerton N.C. two weekends ago, a few friends offered to cook breakfast for everyone before we began our hike. Rudy, Susan, and Nick put together a simple breakfast of scrambled eggs with cheese, homefries, and biscuits. There was also bacon for the meat eaters, faux sausage patties for the pescetarians (people who don’t eat meat but do eat fish).



I apologize for the lack of sausage patties in my picture, but they were made after everything else and I wanted to eat my other food first, lest it get cold. This breakfast was simple, hearty, and delicious. The eggs were cooked for the perfect amount of time so that they were neither dried out nor runny. The shredded cheddar was a pleasing addition to the eggs and after I sprinkled some pepper atop my egg mound I was a happy camper, as you can see it doesn't take much to make me happy…moving on. The homefries were crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, tossed with olive oil and utterly delectable. The biscuit broke apart in soft layers and was a perfect sponge for melted butter. Lastly, the sausage patties; sturdy little patties tasting kind of like meat, kind of not. I’d eat them again.

All in all a marvelous breakfast, a marvelous getaway. Sometimes I think it’s true that the simple things in life really are the best. I’ll leave off with a picture of our quaint cabin.

5 comments:

Danielle & Amoura said...

great blog:)

Sarah said...

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

Lexie said...

oh man .. i love food blogs .. so hungry!

i especially love breakfast!

Romeika said...

Oh, reading this right at dinner time made me even hungrier, the description of the homefries..hmmm:-)

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

After going away to college I am convinced the best meals are home-cooked ones. Plus, you just can't beat fresh ingredients.