Saturday, April 5, 2008

Big City Cafe

Out of my many loves in life, food ranks high up there, especially healthy food, whether ordered in a restaurant or cooked in my kitchen. One of my other loves is writing. Therefore, it seemed only natural that I chronicle my food journey through the medium of a blog. Enjoy…

As a resident of Athens, GA I’ve heard a lot of good things about Big City Cafe. Mainly, that their breads were amazing. I checked out their menu, and became transfixed by the tofu/veggie pita. It many of my favorite food heaped into a pita; tofu, veggies, and feta cheese. As luck would have it, the day I went there, they had run out of pita bread. I ordered their Mediterranean tuna pita on wheat bread instead.




The sandwich was filled with tuna, shaved onions, kalamata olives, roasted tomatoes, lettuce and balsamic vinaigrette, with a pickle on the side.

Pro’s-The tuna didn't taste heavily of mayo, actually I don’t know if mayo was used at all in making the tuna. The sandwich wasn’t saturated with balsamic vinaigrette, there was a nice dressing to tuna ratio, meaning there was enough dressing to give the tuna pizazz, yet not enough to hide the mild flavor of the tuna.

Con’s- While the sandwich was unarguable tasty, it wasn’t anything special. I felt like I could easily whip it up at home and it would taste about the same.

My dining partner, Denny, ordered the black bean sandwich on ciabatta. His sandwich was composed of spicy black beans, sweet potatoes, roasted red peppers, and spinach. It also came with a pickle on the side.





Denny enjoyed his sandwich. He thought it had a unique taste and was combined of foods you wouldn’t necessarily think of making at home. The size of the sandwich filled Denny up, but he said that he could have easily eaten more, had he been really hungry.

Would I go back? Yes, just to try the tofu veggie pita though, I can’t see myself trying any of their other sandwiches. A sandwich is about $6.00-$7.00, so call me cheap, but it’s hard to justify spending that much money on something I could easily make at home.

No comments: